Trojan Horse or also called by a shorter name, namely Trojan, is one type of malware that is feared by many computer users.
How to check for Trojan Horses on PC computers is very important for you to know because this malware spreads like a virus very quickly.
Trojan Horses burden system performance, causing the computer to feel slower, and also very difficult to remove or destroy with antivirus software.
Indeed, the Trojan Horse has a fail-safe mechanism that can make it safe from detection or from antivirus removal attempts.
What are Trojan Horses?
A Trojan Horse is a form of suspicious software which is also known as malicious software (malware) and can damage a system or network.
So, how is this malware spread?
Trojan are generally infect your computer through flash drives, hard drives, while browsing and infiltrate your computer without realizing it.
Trojan in general do not have an automatic copying mechanism, but when a Trojan is installed on a system, it can perform dangerous actions.
If you download software or open a link that contains malware, the Trojan will be able to delete data, block data, modify data, copy data and so on without being noticed by you as a computer user.
Therefore, information thieves usually rely on data theft activities by sending various types of Trojan to many computer systems that can be accessed by them.
Currently Trojan are considered as one of the very serious problems that can threaten your privacy. Here’s how to check for Trojan Horse and remove the malware to protect your PC.
How to Check for Trojan Horse Manually and Remove It
To deal with this malware, there are four ways to remove the Trojan Horse manually that you can do:
- Turning Off Trojan Activity From Computer Memory
The first step you need to do is to stop the Trojan activity from the computer memory.
You can do this using the Task Manager:
- Press “Ctrl + Alt + Del” to bring up the Task Manager window.
- Open the “Processes” tab, click the “User Name” section to sort what processes are currently running by user name.
- Check the part that looks suspicious. If necessary, reduce the running processes one by one to narrow down the search for suspicious processes.
- Loading Trojan malware into memory is usually an .exe file, you can turn off all .exe files that are running in computer memory.
- However, do not disable or turn off files that fall into the System, Local Service, and Network Service categories, because they can cause system errors.
You need to know that Trojan can hide themselves from the Windows Task Manager, and therefore you need another more powerful application to see what processes are running in Windows such as Process Explorer.
- Disabling Trojan from Windows Start-up
The next step to eradicate the Trojan is to remove the code to start the Trojan when the computer starts, or when the start-up is running.
To disable the Trojan from entering memory from start-up, you need to modify the start-up library you have. To be able to do so is also relatively easy:
- The first step is to use the msconfig command. Click the Start menu, open the “Run” application.
- Fill in the available input box with “msconfig“, then press enter on the keyboard and after that the System Configuration Utility application will appear.
- In the window that appears, select “Startup“. If you don’t know for sure which one loads the virus and which doesn’t, you can select “Disable All” to disable all runtimes at Windows startup.
No need to worry because later it can be reactivated when the Trojan has been cleaned from your laptop or computer.
But if you understand which malware is which is not, of course, immediately disabling malware startup is the right thing.
Remove Trojan Files from Computer
The next step is to delete the .exe file owned by the Trojan. You can search and check for Trojan Horse by using Windows Explorer’s built-in search facility.
You can look for the virus file that was previously loaded or opened in the memory or Windows startup.
Make sure previously hidden files are displayed by Windows Explorer so you can see in full what files are on the hard drive.
These Trojan files are usually stored by the creator in the Windows or System32 folder so that they seem to be part of the operating system and make users hesitate to delete them.
Once found, just delete it permanently from your hard drive by pressing “Shift+Delete” on the computer keyboard.
- Removing Malware Files from Registry
After removing the malware file from the hard drive, the next step you need to do is to remove the malware from the computer registry so that your computer does not store the Trojan information.
To do this, we therefore need to open “regedit” and delete the Trojan registry using the application:
- Click the Start menu, then click “Run” and type “regedit” then press enter.
- After entering the regedit menu, press “CTRL + F” then enter the name of the Trojan that you previously found from the process and also from the hard drive.
- Select “Find” and then when you find it, delete all the registry related files, one by one until no more input with the Trojan name can be found in your computer registry.
This step is an important step because by deleting this registry input, you will free your computer from loading the Trojan.
Protect PC Computer from Malware Trojan
You must have realized how troublesome it is to remove a Trojan because this malware is able to disguise itself to infiltrate your computer and even attack a website server.
Trojan horses can disguise themselves as phishing emails, PDF files or software from illegal sites.
Here are tips to protect your computer from Trojan malware attacks:
- Never Open Attachments in Emails
In every use of email, there must be many emails that appear, either in the inbox or spam. Well, from these messages, not a few insert attachments.
Usually, these files have the format .VBS, .EXE, .BAT, and so on. Therefore, if there is an incoming message in the email that you do not know, leave it alone or delete the message.
- Uninstall Terrible Programs
The next way is that you have to regularly check the programs on your computer. The reason is, if a Trojan attacks, it can be ascertained that there will be many programs installed without you knowing it.
If so, delete and uninstall the program, because it will have a terrible impact on your computer.
- Avoid Suspicious Pop-Up Clicks
Pop-ups can appear on a site because of cyber criminals, they often use panic to launch their actions.
If this happens, exit the site immediately and scan the device with McAfee Total Protection antivirus software.
- Use a Safe Internet Network
Be careful if you come across a WiFi network that provides free access.
An insecure internet network usually opens the door wide for various viruses and malware to enter so that users can login without a password.
- Install and Update Antivirus and Antimalware
To remove and protect your computer from Trojan Horses, you can install antivirus and antimalware, don’t forget to always update the latest version.
You can read the McAfee and Norton review if you are still confused about choosing the best antivirus software.
Safe Use of Computers from Trojan Horse Attacks
The manual steps to remove Trojan Horse malware from your computer are not too difficult, you just need to have knowledge of Trojan malware and follow the step-by-step guide above.
Don’t forget to check for Trojan Horses using the best antivirus software such as McAfee Total Protection 2022 to make sure Trojan malware is clean from your PC.